Founded in 1900 by M. Jennie Kendall, New Hampshire Humane Society was formerly known as the Women’s Humane Society. Originally located in Nashua, NH, the organization worked tirelessly for the welfare of women, children, and animals. In recent years, we have renewed our focus on kindness - to animals, the environment, and to each other. To that end, racism, misogyny, bigotry, and any other unkind sentiments will not be tolerated here.
Mission and Purpose
A significant part of our mission is about second chances. We're dedicated to finding responsible and caring forever homes and providing shelter for lost, abandoned and unwanted animals. We advocate for animals and speak for those who cannot speak for themselves. We implement educational programs and provide services to promote responsible pet ownership and the human-animal bond. And finally, we work tirelessly to prevent cruelty to animals.
The Women’s Humane Society operated in many unexpected locations such as a former shoe factory, a private home, and the back yard of the Marion Draper residence on Lake Avenue in Nashua.
The Women’s Humane Society made its way to Laconia in 1935 and worked in conjunction with the southern branches until 1968. It was then that the Laconia shelter assumed sole responsibility for the animal welfare portion of Ms. Kendall’s vision. The shelter gradually evolved into the organization it is today - assuring each animal exceptional care and comfort, gentle behavioral support, excellent medical treatment, and focusing on specific adoption guidelines.
Breaking Adoption Records
On May 16, 2006 the NHHS opened its brand new, state-of-the-art facility to the public. Since that time, adoption rates have increased dramatically, with an adoption rate hovering at 90%. Nationally, only 16% of people go to a shelter for their next pet. NHHS has the 4th highest adoption rate in New England, demonstrating the power this new facility holds.